Monday, 29 July 2013

Day 4 - Monday, 29 July

Natalie again – looks like I'm going to be the most prolific blogger...
So, those of you who were at our final meeting in Horsham will remember Guy sending us off with a word from 2 Corinthians 2. 'Lynx Africa' may jog your memory!
Here's a story that was read for us at the Warehouse this morning as we received training before going into the townships.

A Fragrance of Christ (Read 2 Corinthians 2: 15, 16)
During my first trip to the USA, I strayed in the home of a couple who were kind to my during my visit. When we were about to part, Linda, the hostess, presented me with gifts. One was a bottle of perfume with a note enclosed: “For perfume to be made, the flowers must be crushed. You have been a fragrance of Christ in our home, and I know you will continue to be a fragrance for him wherever you go.”
Years have passed, but I still keep that gift as a reminder of my time with the couple. And as I re-read the note, I ask myself If Linda saw me today, would she still call me “a fragrance of Christ”? A lot of 'crushing' has taken place in my life. I hope it turned me into the fragrance of Christ and not into a bitter follower.
In Ephesians 5:2 Paul urges us to “be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Obviously, there's neither beauty in crushing flowers, nor is there any beauty in Christ tortuously dying on the cross. Nonetheless, only in that kind of selfless giving do we live, love and imitate God.
How can I be the fragrance of Christ today?
God sent us out and welcomed us in...

It's been a challenging day, and amidst all the new experiences we (and those we are working with) are so encouraged by the number of bible verses and pictures and conversations which have clearly been God's Spirit at work in our journey. Speaking of which, over to Helen...

Heya! Today has indeed been an interesting day! This morning we went to the Warehouse for some prayer before we went into Sweet Home Farm. During this prayer session Craig Stewart told me that he had seen a image of me as Mary at the Birth of Jesus and that I was witnessing what was going on and holding it all in my heart which I thought was amazing! Later on in the day after our visit to the township we did some Bible study and the first verse that we read was Luke 2:18,19 'everyone was amazed at what the shepherds said to them but Mary treasured these things and continued to think about them'. When I read this I was amazed how they both linked effortlessly which is when it was confirmed to me that this WAS a message from God. This whole idea is exactly the help I needed for the emotions and situation that I am currently in. I feel that this experience in Cape Town is all being held in my heart as it something that I truly care about. This message has added to both the confirmation of my faith and that God wanted me to come on this trip!
  • Love you favourite Cain!!! xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.